The Chiefs are one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl. I broke down the roster in an attempt to rank each player in terms of importance – not necessarily ability – to the Chiefs so we can reach that elusive goal.
1) Patrick Mahomes – Do I really need to comment here?
2) Tyreek Hill – His speed is an instant game changer.
3) Travis Kelce – I considered him for the number two spot.
4) Frank Clark – Can he destroy tackles and command double teams?
5) Tyrann Mathieu – Can he be the leader that our secondary desperately need?
6) Chris Jones – Will he ball out in his contract year?
7) Austin Reiter – Pressure up the middle could slow Mahomes.
8) Eric Fisher – Give Mahomes time and we will be advancing in the playoffs.
9) Mitchell Schwartz – See comment above.
10) Bashaud Breeland – We need a second corner that we can count on.
11) Damien Wilson – Is he the steady linebacker we desperately need to see?
12) Darron Lee – Is he the coverage linebacker we desperately need to see?
13) Kendall Fuller – Will he play like a first corner that we can count on?
14) Sammy Watkins – Our offense goes from great to unbelievable if he balls out this year.
15) LDT – More protection up the middle for Mahomes.
16) Andrew Wylie – Has he solidified the LG position?
17) Cam Erving – Can he be that reliable substitute on the offensive line?
18) Harrison Butker – Needs to keep being the Butt Kicker.
19) Dustin Colquitt – Needs to keep being a Chiefs Hall of Famer.
20) James Winchester – He is the magic behind Butker and Colquitt.
21) KPASS – Our pass rush goes from good to great if he has a breakout year.
22) Hitch – Will he finally become the linebacker that Veach thought he might be?
23) Charvarious Ward – We need that steady third corner.
24) Dirty Dan – Will he be a liability until Thornhill is up to speed?
25) Juan Thornhill – How long before he replaces Dirty Dan in the lineup?
26) Ben Niemann – Is our most important reserve linebacker.
27) DRob – Will he remain steady when Hill and Watkins come out of the game?
28) Mecole Hardman – Will he make DRob obsolete before the end of the season?
29) Damien Williams – Will our hidden playmaker be golden for the entire season?
30) Shady McCoy – Does he have enough left to give us a solid number two back?
31) Darwin Thompson – Will he steal some carries from the two listed above?
32) Armani Watts – Will he hold his own in three safety packages?
33) Reggie Ragland – Will he be able to make an impact on his limited snaps this year?
34) Derrick Nnadi – Will he be a beast on running plays this year?
35) Alex Okafor – Will he contribute to our sack attack this year?
36) Emanuel Ogbah – Will he be a steady performer on the defensive line this year?
37) Morris Claiborne – Will he replace whichever corner we have that might struggle this year?
38) DAT – Will he continue his great play on special teams?
39) Anthony Sherman – He will continue his great play on special teams.
40) Byron Pringle – Could be our next great player on special teams.
41) Jordan Lucas – Will he overtake Watts on the depth chart?
42) Blake Bell – Can he be our second TE?
43) Deon Yelder – Can he be our second TE?
44) DOD – Can he stay on the roster for special teams only?
45) Tremon Smith – Can he stay on the roster for special teams only?
46) Matt Moore – Hope he looks good in mop up duty.
47) Rashad Fenton – Our emergency corner.
48) Xavier Williams – Will have spot duty on the line.
49) Joey Ivie – Replaces Williams next year or replace by Breeland Speaks next year.
50) Nick Allegretti – Will be our center next year but not this year.
51) Jeff Allen – Will be released and resigned for a large part of the year.
52) Darrel Williams – Will see few snaps unless McCoy is a bust.
53) Ryan Hunter – Is he ready to be a serious backup?
54) Martinas Rankin – If he is on the line, we have had several injuries.
55) Khalen Saunders – I like his potential but needs to get much stronger.
There is my take. Remember, this is based on order of importance, not ability. Let me know what you think.